• Wearable Art: XIAO Li

I love it when there is a new designer on the block, I have my favorite designers who I love to wear to death, but like they say ‘too much of anything is never good’. With that little saying in mind and because I’m obsessive fashion enthusiast, I’m always on the prowl for emerging designers who will help me to form the most eclectic wardrobe full of must have pieces. Sit back whilst I introduce you to a designer whose work is collection fantasying fascinating  fashion designs that are dreamy lustful wants of mine.



XIAO Li’s wearable art collection is mesmerising to say the least; one is instantly captivated by the statement designs and intricate detailing of high level craftsmanship that has gone into the floaty styles.  It’s almost like each piece has been made from plastic, which looks as though it is clothing fit for a doll. I love knit and this has been a heavy point of inspiration for the collection. I love the fact that Li has not gone and introduced the discipline of knit like every other designer into her designs. 

Li has unveiled knitted innovation at its finest; she has enhanced the knitting process to produce knit yarns and textures that I’ve never seen done in this way before. Li does this all by combining silicone knitwear reliefs with the classic knitting techniques, which results in the most futuristic avant-garde collection that looks candy chic.



The collection of work has already won Fashion Scout’s Merit Award for A/W 13, and previous to that Li bagged the Diesel Award.  XIAO Li is also tipped as a named finalist to win the H&M Design award of 2014.

XIAO Li attended fashion school at the London College of Fashion where she studied a BA Womenswear, she then went onto further education and completed a MA in Knitwear at the Royal College of Art.



The collection is out of this world, the designs are unique and contemporary, super stylish wearable art pieces that you would actually want to wear. I love the designs of Li because even though the collection looks quite ridged, there is a flow, a kind momentum movement that flows throughout the designs captured in the silhouette of the pieces and on the surfaces of the fabric. I also admire the strong forms that the designer has gone for, completely re-shaping the silhouette perception of the female body, whilst contrasting this notion with other pieces in the collection that accentuate key parts of the body like the legs.



I’ve always been a fan of pastel colours which is probably why I am so drawn to Li’s collection. Li presents the collection in pretty pastel colours that sees shades of delicate lemons, baby pinks and soft –hued blues, which are perfect pastel tones to go for when tapping into this season’s pastel spring summer trend.






Image source: www.dezeen.com







No comments:

Post a Comment